Enhanced living is a community of apartments, cottages, condominiums, or single-family homes for older adults who occasionally need assistance with daily activities. Residents in enhanced living communities appreciate the convenience of amenities, senior-friendly surroundings, and numerous social activities and opportunities.
Learn more about what to expect in an enhanced senior living community in this blog from Golden Bell Senior Living.
10 amenities to expect in enhanced living communities
Enhanced living can offer numerous benefits over retiring in your home. Many residents in an enhanced senior living community enjoy active, engaging lifestyles with conveniences that help them maintain independence and make meaningful connections with peers.
Here are 10 common amenities and benefits that you’ll find in enhanced living:
1. Spacious living options – Enhanced living communities typically offer several floor plan options in apartments, cottages, condos, or homes. Although you’ll likely need to downsize, you can still personalize your new place with your favorite things and furniture.
2. Maintenance services – Often, one of the most popular benefits of enhanced living is the included maintenance services. No more mowing, waiting on maintenance specialists, or finding someone to watch your home while you’re away. Enhanced living means maintenance-free living, so you can fill your time with things you enjoy.
3. Housekeeping and linen services – Most enhanced living communities provide weekly housekeeping and linen services, which often include making your bed. This can save you time and be particularly helpful to older adults who find cleaning and laundry physically challenging.
4. Calendar of activities, classes, and special events – As we age, we may lose touch with friends or family who move away. Transportation and staying connected with others may be difficult, which can increase the risk of isolation and depression in seniors. Socialization and lifelong learning are vital to experiencing a high quality of life for your mental and physical health. Enhanced living offers a variety of socialization opportunities, including book clubs, computer classes, painting lessons, live entertainment, holiday celebrations, games, day and overnight trips, and much more.
5. Chef-prepared dining and snacks – Hotel-style dining is another top benefit of enhanced living. You can enjoy fresh, nutritious meals in an on-campus dining venue. You’ll still be able to prepare meals in your apartment or home, but you’ll have the option to dine with friends and order from a menu if you prefer. Around-the-clock snacks are usually available in enhanced living communities to ensure residents have easy access to a snack whenever they’re hungry.
6. Transportation options – You may continue to drive in enhanced living, but you may not need to if the transportation services meet your needs. Usually, enhanced living offers transportation services, either complimentary or for a small fee. You can request a ride for appointments, grocery shopping, and more.
7. Fitness opportunities – Staying physically active as we age can help improve your health and overall well-being. Enhanced living communities often feature fitness centers, exercise classes, walking groups, and other opportunities to remain physically fit.
8. On-site conveniences – Enhanced living focuses on comfort so you can enjoy an independent lifestyle full of security and ease. On-site amenities may include a library, recreation and craft room, salon, room service, fitness center, movie theater, postage and mail services, and much more.
9. Supportive care – A blend of independent and assisted living, enhanced living communities provide supportive care to residents as it’s needed. For example, you may feel sick and need support contacting your medical provider. Or, you might need to use room service if you’re recovering from a cold and don’t feel up to going to the dining room. Emergency assistance is frequently available 24/7 in an enhanced living community, providing you and your loved ones peace of mind.
10. Senior-friendly environment – Enhanced living communities are designed with aging adults in mind. Safety and security are top priorities in common areas, outdoor spaces, and floor plans. You’ll commonly find accessible doorways, walk-in showers, and grab bars in apartments and homes.
Discover enhanced living in beautiful South Florida
Enhanced living residents of Independence Hall in Wilton Manors, Florida, relish the comforts of home plus the additional support and assistance they need to enjoy an active, independent lifestyle.
Enhanced living at Independence Hall includes a comprehensive activities program, hotel-style dining (with optional room service), and expansive apartment suites. View floor plans, photos, a location map, and more on our webpage.
Life at Golden Bell Senior Living
Senior living communities provide the comforts of home with the added benefits of supportive care, engaging activities, and a maintenance-free lifestyle. With your daily needs met, your loved one will live more independently and have opportunities to meet friends, discover new interests, and live each day to the fullest.
Golden Bell Senior Living offers a continuum of care that includes independent living, assisted living, and respite care. Residents have personalized care plans, are treated like family, and are greeted by name in a warm, welcoming environment.
Amenities and activities include:
- Beautiful accommodations
- Landscaped grounds and gardens
- Community outings
- Recreation and social activities
- Chef-prepared meals
- Scheduled transportation
- Beauty and barber shop
- Housekeeping and maintenance services
Please contact us to learn more about our communities or set up a tour. We’d love to hear from you and are happy to help answer any questions you have about senior living. For more information about choosing senior living, download our complimentary Family Decision Toolkit.