Seniors ready to retire in Aiken, South Carolina, will discover many opportunities to stay fit and prioritize wellness. We’ll share popular places to exercise in the Aiken area in this blog from Golden Bell Senior Living.
Best Places for Seniors to Stay Fit in Aiken, South Carolina
Staying active as you age can boost your mood, improve your physical and mental health, and also help your overall well-being. Fortunately, there are many ways you can engage in an active lifestyle in Aiken.
Explore our list and see what works best for you. Before you begin a new exercise program, it’s important to consult your physician.
Aiken Regional Medical Centers – Fitness and Fun for Adults 50+
Aiken Regional Medical Centers (ARMC) partners with the City of Aiken to offer fun wellness events and activities for older adults. The following classes are available at the Odell Weeks Center, located at Virginia Acres Park:
- Yoga I & II – gentle mind/body workouts focusing on improving balance and flexibility
- Lunchtime Fitness
- Evening Fitness – aerobic weightlifting and resistance training, core strengthening
- Silver Sneakers I – seated exercise class
- Silver Sneakers Yoga Stretch – seated and standing yoga poses
- Fit 4 Ever – low-impact, moderate-paced fitness exercises
- Line Dancing – lines dances to country, jazz, big band, and modern music
- Ballroom Dance – beginner and advanced steps
ARMC also facilitates a Better Health Forum featuring quarterly health seminars in both Aiken and North Augusta. A variety of health and wellness topics are covered in each seminar. The upcoming schedule and speakers can be found here.
City of Aiken Senior Recreation
The City of Aiken’s Recreation Department plans fitness classes for seniors throughout the week. Class options include:
- Aiken Legends – pickup games of basketball
- Fit & Strong! – combination of physical activity and health education
- Zumba Gold – lower-intensity Zumba classes
- Walk with Ease – walking to reduce pain, increase balance and strength, and improve your overall health
- Tai Chi – flowing movements for the health of the mind and body
- Senior Softball – recreational softball league
Virginia Acres Park – Outdoor Fitness
Virginia Acres Park, located in Aiken, provides outdoor opportunities to stay fit and active. Enjoy the following amenities at the park:
- Walking track with lights and park benches
- Tennis courts
- Pickleball courts
- Racquetball courts
- Disc golf
University of South Carolina Aiken Wellness Center and Natatorium – Older Adults/Silver Sneakers Program
The University of South Carolina Aiken Wellness Center and Natatorium is another great option for seniors. They offer an Older Adults/Silver Sneakers Program that focuses on improving the quality of life of seniors through guided programs and fitness classes.
Class opportunities include:
- Stretch Gold – stretching exercises to improve joint flexibility
- Strength Gold – strength class for older adults
- Yoga Gold – yoga moves for seniors
- Water Aerobics – aerobic exercises in the pool
- Zumba Gold – low-impact movements
- Chair Zumba – Zumba class from a seated position
- Chair Yoga – yoga moves in a seated position
The Family YMCA of Greater Augusta – Silver Sneakers
The Family YMCA of Greater Augusta offers Silver Sneakers fitness programs at several locations. Choose from classic, circuit, and chair yoga classes.
Group exercise classes are also available and specifically designed for older adults, including:
- Fit After 50 – upper, lower, and core body exercises
- Crossfit Gold – 30-minute class for all abilities – can help with fall prevention
- Silver Fit – cardiovascular and muscular endurance workouts
- Zumba Gold – fitness dance class for older adults
Village Fitness – Full-Service Gym
Village Fitness, located in Aiken, is a full-service gym with several amenities. You’ll find a heated saltwater pool, group classes, personal trainers, small and large group sessions, weights, cardio, a turf workout area, and more.
Members also enjoy a smoothies & shakes bar, spa services & massages, over 200 in-person and virtual fitness classes each week, and a 21-day kickstart program.
Aiken Senior Life Services
Aiken Senior Life Services is a nonprofit organization that provides meals, transportation, and social interactions for seniors. Part of their life enrichment programming covers nutrition and wellness topics to help you stay fit during retirement.
You’ll find a few of the following classes:
- Brain & Body Fitness – seated core fitness program
- Intro to Ballroom Dance – beginner social dance classes
- Line Dancing – basic line dancing lessons
- Holistic Wellness Fair – nutritional consultants, vendors, massages, chiropractors, and more
Live an Active Lifestyle at Golden Bell Senior Living in Aiken
Aiken, South Carolina, offers an active lifestyle for older adults ready to retire in a senior living community. Cumberland Village and Cumberland Hills provide an abundance of choices for living options, activity programs, hotel-style dining, and special events.
Residents enjoy numerous amenities and services, including housekeeping and linen services, an outdoor activity area, 24-hour medical security, chauffeured transportation, a clubhouse with fitness center, and on-site salons. Maintenance-free living gives you time to do everything you want, whether on or off campus.
Golden Bell senior living communities focus on the entire well-being of each resident. You’ll commonly find Yoga, Pilates, and meditation opportunities in our communities for individual residents and groups. Fitness centers and, when available, rehabilitation programs are also offered.
Life at Golden Bell Senior Living
Senior living communities like Golden Bell provide the comforts of home with the added benefits of supportive care, engaging activities, and a maintenance-free lifestyle. With your daily needs met, your loved one will live more independently and have opportunities to meet friends, discover new interests, and live each day to the fullest.
Golden Bell Senior Living offers a full continuum of care, including independent living, assisted living, and respite care. Residents have personalized care plans, are treated like family, and are greeted by name in a warm, welcoming environment.
Amenities and activities include:
- Beautiful accommodations
- Landscaped grounds and gardens
- Community outings
- Recreation and social activities
- Chef-prepared meals
- Scheduled transportation
- Beauty and barber shop
- Housekeeping and maintenance services
Please contact us to learn more about our communities or set up a tour. We’d love to hear from you and are happy to help answer any questions you have about senior living. For more information about choosing senior living, download our complimentary Funding Senior Care and Housing Guide.